The keto diet (ketogenic) is a newly developed trend in diet nutrition. The keto diet began to gain the greatest popularity in 2017 and continues to this day.
The keto diet is an approach to a healthy lifestyle. Natural food products are preferred according to the needs of the human body with the presence of fat and the lowest carbohydrate content.
The ketogenic diet is an updated version of the low carbohydrate diet.
Principles of the Keto Diet
The main principle of the keto diet is low carb foods. The ketogenic diet is based on the body's treatment of fatty acids. The breakdown of animal fats that enter the body with food without the intervention of carbohydrates is the key to a healthy diet with this method.
Low carb keto diet is very popular among obese people who want to lose weight or stay in shape.
With a minimum or complete absence of carbohydrates in the body, fat burning occurs quickly, a person begins to lose weight. Fat begins to be removed from the body and processed into fatty acids and then into the ketol body.
Ketone bodies are fat breakdown products produced in the liver. With the active consumption of energy or prolonged fasting, to obtain energy, the body begins to break down its own stored fat.
The breakdown of fat and the formation of ketone bodies is called ketogenesis and is a completely natural process for the human body. Ketogenesis does not lead to drastic weight loss.
Features of the keto diet
A characteristic of the keto diet is the replacement of the supplied energy resource - carbohydrates with fat or rather decay products - ketone bodies. To reorganize the body and based on individual characteristics it is necessary to reduce the amount of carbohydrates consumed from 50 to 20 grams per day. It will take 2 to 4 weeks for the body to fully adapt to the new nutritional system. The highest form of fat burning is achieved by following a balanced diet.
A distinctive feature of the keto diet from other types of diets is the limited amount of carbohydrates in the body, low protein content and the presence of fat. The daily intake of carbohydrates in food should not exceed 20 grams per day. Ketones, by-products of animal fat, which the body uses to produce energy, must have a ratio of fat to protein and carbohydrates of 2 to 1. In order to maintain a normal metabolism, the body must get plenty of fat. 75% of the calories in your daily diet should come from fat, the rest is carbohydrates and proteins. Calorie intake of products per day should not exceed 5000 kcal. The diet does not limit the eating time, you can eat safely after 18 hours.
The less a person consumes food high in carbohydrates, the more effective the diet is at suppressing hunger.
The main part of the daily diet should be fat, followed by proteins and last but not least - carbohydrates. Unlike others, this diet is peculiar in that salt intake is not limited here, which restores the balance between electrolytes.
In the early days of the diet, gradually reduce the amount of carbohydrates consumed.
With the strict principle of adhering to the keto diet for weight loss, a person can easily lose 3-5 kg of weight in a month without harming their health and reducing the amount of adipose tissue.
Athletes are more likely to adhere to a cyclic ketogenic diet, burn fat, their bodies become more prominent, and muscle mass increases. The reason for this change lies in the transformation of the hormonal background and the increased process of growth hormone production. The principle of diet is strictly regulated with the exercise plan.
Benefits of the Keto Diet
The benefits of the keto diet have already been scientifically proven and approved by nutritionists. In addition to losing or maintaining weight, the condition of skin, hair, nails improves, metabolism is normalized, metabolism is improved, and immunity is increased.
Studies have shown that people who are overweight and have high cholesterol after a keto diet for 56 weeks not only lost over 25 kg, but they significantly improved their blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
With caution, doctors recommend adhering to a diet for cancer patients. It is well known that cancer cells actively feed on glucose, exclude them completely from the diet and adhere to a carbohydrate-free diet, diseased cells gradually lose their activity.
For lovers of independent weight loss without a prescription, the easiest diet option is suitable - the keto lifestyle.
The ketogenic diet is widely used among athletes in sports that require high endurance: marathon, triathlon, cycling, extreme sports.
Diet promotes fat burning for efficient production of an energy source, thereby contributing to the conservation and economical consumption of glycogen (starch) during prolonged intense exertion.
The obvious benefits of a keto diet are an overall improvement in well-being, emotional mood, a surge of energy, increased efficiency, increased brain activity.
Disadvantages of keto diet
Compared to other weight loss diets, the ketogenic diet is more effective, but long-term adherence can have different consequences.
The disadvantage of the keto diet is that it is not suitable for all people. When glucose levels are low, the body's glycogen stores are depleted. With a sharp transition from a regular diet to a ketogenic diet, many people experience dizziness, weakness and drowsiness and coordination difficulties.
If the following symptoms appear, stop following the ketogenic diet:
- decreased performance and concentration
- increased fatigue
- unpleasant sharp acetone odor from the mouth
- digestive process difficulties
- poor blood counts
- frequent urination
- persistent dry mouth
- decreased appetite.
- lack of minerals and vitamins in the body.
Due to low-fat ketone nutrition, there may be an excess of ammonia in the blood, leading to toxic poisoning of the body and disturbance of hormone levels.
In the first week's diet you may feel chills or fever, fatigue, mild nausea, irritability. You need to drink as much water as possible. Symptoms usually disappear within a week and the body gradually adapts to get energy from fat stores.
To adjust nutrition, special test strips are used that show the level of ketones and glucose in the blood.
List of permitted and prohibited foods in the keto diet
Eating this way should be approached wisely. There is a specific list of allowed and forbidden foods in the keto diet.
Let's first look at what you can eat with the keto diet:
- You can eat all types of meat: beef, pork, chicken, turkey, bacon.
- It is allowed to eat seafood and all fatty fish: salmon, chum salmon, mackerel.
- A wide range of dairy products: fat cottage cheese and yogurt, cream, cheese, butter.
- You can add spices during cooking. Vegetable salads can be seasoned with olive oil or vegetable oil.
- Nuts, berries and seeds are allowed for a snack.
- From permitted fruits: avocado, lemon, lime, but if you want something else, it is perfectly acceptable.
- Chicken eggs.
- The diet should include water, tea without sugar, coffee, mineral water. You should drink at least 2 liters of fluid a day.
- You can drink dry wine and strong alcohol: a glass of dry wine contains no more than 4-5 grams of carbohydrates, and they are completely absent in vodka.
- Of the vegetables, low-carbohydrate vegetables are preferred according to the principle: what grows in the soil can not be (carrots, beets, potatoes), but what can be above the ground (cucumbers, tomatoes, cabbage, courgette, green onions, salad). All fatty foods go well with greens.
Keto diet must not:
- all kinds of legumes and grains - peas, beans, beans, corn;
- low-fat dairy products - low-fat cottage cheese, milk, cream, yoghurt, fermented baked milk, yoghurt, kefir, nightshades;
- sugar, sugary drinks, reconstituted juice, soda, sweets;
- it is unacceptable to use snacks, chips and biscuits;
- all starchy vegetables: potatoes, pumpkin;
- will have to give up rice, cereals and pasta;
- food prepared with white flour: pastries, muffins, croissants, muffins, pasta.
It is necessary to completely exclude the consumption of sugar, some fruits and dried fruits.
Contraindications to the keto diet
People with diseases of the nervous system, with diseases that accompany the destruction of nerve cells, patients with diabetes should be carefully contacted for nutrition.
There are contraindications to the keto diet for humans:
- suffers from epilepsy
- diseases associated with disorders of motor organs;
- the presence of chronic diseases of the liver, kidneys
- gastrointestinal tract;
- with high cholesterol levels.
The ketone diet is not recommended for pregnant women or for certain medicines.
Keto Diet: Menu of the Week
Nutritionists recommend using the principle of diversity. A classic example of a keto diet for a week.
- breakfast - fat cottage cheese without sugar and flour;
- lunch - any meat with a vegetable side dish;
- for dinner - mushrooms or chicken with herbs.
- breakfast - avocado salad with sour cream;
- for lunch - meatballs with vegetables;
- in the evening - grilled fish with asparagus.
- breakfast - curd salad with vegetables;
- for lunch - turkey meat with broccoli;
- For dinner, you can make an American fish salad with celery stalks.
- in the morning - scrambled eggs and bacon and fatty yoghurt;
- for lunch - chicken fried in sour cream with a vegetable side dish;
- The dinner consists of river fish.
- for breakfast - sugar-free cottage cheese;
- for lunch - green buckwheat with meat;
- in the evening - baked meat with vegetables.
- breakfast - avocado salad dressed with yogurt;
- for breakfast - chicken chops with a vegetable side dish;
- for dinner - stews and herbs.
- breakfast - boiled eggs and fat cottage cheese;
- for lunch - stewed veal with mushrooms;
- in the evening - chicken breast with fresh vegetables.
For an afternoon meal you can eat nuts, avocado, berries, cheese, drink mineral water.
Recipes from the keto diet menu
The most common and simple dish on the keto menu is scrambled eggs and bacon or cheese for breakfast. For lunch you can eat a portion of any meat with herbs, green beans. Fish can be eaten in any form with vegetables for dinner. For a snack you can eat a handful of nuts. Parts can be both large and small as long as the body is saturated.
Here are some simple, complete meals that do not require additional snacks.
Fish salad:Boil or boil any fatty fish, add: eggs, pickles, onions, mayonnaise or 20% sour cream, youcan add a parsley stalk.
Chicken with bacon, fried in sour cream with mushrooms:strips of bacon fried in olive oil or sunflower oil, removed from the pan when boiling and chicken pieces placed on their place breasts, fry for a few minutes until golden brown, add: water, chopped onions, mushrooms, fried bacon, sour cream, spices, and cook everything for a few more minutes.
Curd salad:fresh cucumber, onion and Chinese cabbage finely chop, salt and spices are added, let it sit for 10 minutes so vegetables give juice and add fat curd, poursour cream fraiche mixed with mayonnaise.
There are many recipes for keto diet, everyone can choose the best option for themselves from the allowed products.
This diet can be delicious and varied.
End of keto diet
After completing the course, it is necessary to gradually reduce the amount of fat consumed, so as not to undermine health and advantageously end the keto diet. To maintain your metabolism and to avoid putting your body in a state of stress, gradually increase your intake of carbohydrates and proteins in small portions.
Along with fats, calorie intake is reduced. Vegetables, grains are gradually introduced into the diet and avoid sugar and flour products. The daily intake of carbohydrates in the first days after the diet should be from 70 to 100 grams, it is desirable to leave the protein intake at the same level.
Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
Nutritionists' Opinions on the Keto Diet
Nutritionists consider the ketogenic diet to be universal not only for weight loss and weight loss, but also recommend it for improving health. With proper and strict adherence to diet recipes, the diet should include: 80% fat, 10% protein and 10% carbohydrates.
Dietitians have written over 30 scientific articles, and many years of research have shown that the ketogenic diet significantly accelerates the reduction of insulin in the blood, a hormone that promotes the accumulation of subcutaneous fat. Diet improves appetite control, diet suppresses the production of hormone heating, which causes hunger. Muscle mass remains the same, the amount of subcutaneous fat is reduced.
Scientific studies have shown that the ketogenic diet is a non-drug treatment for the treatment of certain cardiovascular diseases.
Eating good nutrition is not only the key to losing weight, but also has a beneficial effect on the function of the gastrointestinal tract, heart, liver and kidneys.
A balanced diet rich in fat and moderate protein and carbohydrates for a long time, supports a healthy lifestyle, prolongs youth, helps maintain good physical shape. Doctors recommend walking more in the fresh air, a full night's sleep, and there are only natural products.